Property Development Lawyer - 7+ PQE - Birmingham
Did you know?
We employ over 400 specialist real estate lawyers in the UK
Our market leading practice is consistently recognised in the top tiers by both Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners
We have over 230 lawyers based in Birmingham, including over 50 real estate specialists
We are well connected to help make introductions: our clients include regional, national and global organisations in the public and private sectors, including investors, developers, banks and central and local government
Law Firm of the Year at the Legal Business Awards 2021
Property Team of the Year at The British Legal Awards 2017 & 2019
Don’t take our word for it…
“Full-service real estate practice acting for an impressive roster of blue-chip clients. Noted for its adept handling of investment, asset management and development matters, with expertise across a broad range of sectors, including commercial, automotive and retail. Regularly handles large residential development schemes and also enjoys a fine reputation for its real estate work in the energy and infrastructure spaces.”
Chambers and Partners 2022
Putting the role in context
Our team – you will be in good company!
You will be joining our transactional real estate team of 24 lawyers in Birmingham, one of the leading and most well-established teams in the city. We advise clients across the whole spectrum of real estate acquisition, site promotion, development, funding, investment and asset management requirements, with particular focus on large scale city and town centre regeneration and mixed use schemes, new business park developments, Grade A office developments and investments, major logistics and manufacturing projects and new urban settlements. Over the past 20 years and more, the team has delivered some of the largest deals in the city/region, as well as routinely advising on high value and complex transactions across the UK. The team is led by Lisa Middleton and includes a well-established and long standing team of partners, each of whom is well recognised in the market, including:
- Lisa Middleton, who leads our Midlands investment and asset management practice;
- Tom Johnson, who leads our UK residential development practice, comprising over 40 lawyers across our offices in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland;
- Carl Scott, who leads our UK property restructuring practice;
- Tom Eastwood, who co-leads our award-winning specialist UK property healthcare business; and
- Kultar Khangura, who leads our Midlands property energy practice.
We have a strong forward book of business, supported by significant and long-standing client relationships, including:
- IM Properties
- Henry Boot Developments (HBD)
- Birmingham City Council
- Homes England
- Urban & Civic
- Lovell Partnerships
- London & Continental Railways
What our clients say about us:
"Her commitment to working wholeheartedly with, and delivering for, the client is immense."
"Tom is an exceptional commercial property lawyer." "He was brilliant throughout and made the whole process very enjoyable."
“Kultar Khangura always goes above and beyond. Realistic in assessments of both legal and commercial positions, providing advise through this lens.”
Legal 500 2023
Current/recent deal highlights include advising:
- Muse Places following its selection by the Arden Cross consortium of landowners to create this £3.2 bn global destination for innovation, business, commerce, learning and living, across more than 140 hectares (346 acres) New Mixed-use Destination in the Midlands - Arden Cross, UK Central
- Lendlease in partnership with Starwood on the delivery of the iconic Silvertown scheme in London’s historic docklands, a £3.5bn new mixed use community by the River Thames Silvertown | Shaping a new community in East London.
- HBD on the acquisition, funding and development of the Spark scheme in Walsall, the largest brownfield development site in the Black Country SPARK WALSALL
- Kier Property on the phased development of the landmark Arena Central scheme in the centre of Birmingham Mixed-use City Development | Arena Central, Birmingham (arena-central.com)
- Urban & Civic on the Master Development Agreement for the Baldock North urban settlement project, which will create over 3,000 new homes, a new country park and a mainline rail crossing to support the scheme Landmark agreement signed for new Baldock neighbourhoods | Urban&Civic (urbanandcivic.com)
We are now looking to appoint a lawyer in Birmingham to join our UK Residential Development team who:
- is 7+ years qualified in England & Wales with particular experience of advising developers on complex multi-phase, mixed-use/mixed tenure projects,
- has directly relevant experience gained in a large commercial firm, or in-house legal team
- is a proven team player, able to forge strong working relationships with colleagues in an agile environment
- has excellent academics, is technically accomplished, with sound commercial judgment
- has the interpersonal skills necessary for developing on-going relationships with an existing client base as well as helping to win and grow new opportunities
What will we offer you?
- The chance to join a market leading, dynamic and growing team, with strong Birmingham presence and part of a global business, with a very well-recognised brand
- The chance to play a leading role on a wide variety of complex and intellectually-challenging transactions for major clients that will enable you to develop your legal and practical skills and experience and take your career to the next level
- The investment we make in you through our first-class training and career development programme – we will help you to develop as an all-round development lawyer, with exposure to valuable sector-focused experience and the opportunity to deliver "best in class" services.
- The opportunity to take responsibility for your matters and grow a strong network of client and colleague relationships, both within the Midlands and via our UK and international network
- Competitive salary and benefits package including a generous bonus scheme
To apply for this role
Should you require further details, please contact our in-house Lateral Recruitment Advisor Anwen Wallington who can discuss the role and requirements.
At Pinsent Masons we value diversity and inclusion. We are committed to creating a better workplace where all our talent can succeed and feel like they belong. We want to attract, retain and develop people at all levels and encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates whatever your ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/ long term condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristics protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate.
Our purpose informs everything we do. In combination with our code and values it gives us a clear direction for how we can make business work better for people for you, our colleagues, our clients and the wider community.
We are a truly agile firm and believe work is something we do and not somewhere we go. Agile workers may work from any location – including but not necessarily from home. They may also break up their working day to enable them to take time out for caring, family or other interests and responsibilities, before completing their work outside traditional, 'core' office hours.
In 2021 we introduced a Carers Policy to help support individuals in the business with significant caring responsibilities, allowing up to five days paid carers leave per year on top of the standard holiday allowance.
- Agile working policy
- Carers Leave policy
- At senior support level, you are entitled to private healthcare for you and your immediate family
- Employee Assistance Programme provides lots of useful information on looking after your health and wellbeing of you and your family
- Access to a savings platform to get discounts and offers from some of the UK's most popular retailers and attractions.
- Family Matters support network
- Maternity/ Paternity leave
- Global Family Leave (new in 2022) offering new parents – whether expecting or adopting – 16 weeks of paid leave up to the child’s first birthday, for parents of any gender, regardless of where you are based.