"They are consistently impressive and very helpful." - Chambers & Partners
We are looking for an Associate or Senior Associate to join our highly regarded Commercial team in the Thames Valley, focusing on high value commercial contracts within the TMC and Life Sciences sectors together with a varied diet of intellectual property, consumer regulatory, data privacy and advertising law work.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a Chambers and Legal 500 rated team and advise on high value, strategically important and often international projects within a supportive and collegiate environment.
Our Commercial group provides leading-edge business solutions to clients, ranging from high growth start-ups to multinationals and covering the entire spectrum of commercial activity. Our Thames Valley team has a strong reputation with large global clients requiring sophisticated cross-jurisdictional advice.
We have considerable expertise within the Thames Valley office in a range of key sectors, including healthcare, telecoms and retail and particularly digital business. We are known for our outstanding expertise in advising on highly complex commercial contracts across these sectors.
Our premier client base across the TMC sector, where we enjoy a fantastic reputation, includes the likes of Microsoft, Vodafone, Cornerstone, Expedia Vice Media Facebook and Discovery. In the financial services sector, another field in which we have considerable strength, our typical work includes advice on complex services agreements, including agreements for the development of new financial products and panel arrangements, for clients such as KPMG, Monitise and Towergate. In particular, we have specialist expertise in "new generation" payment services, such as mobile payments (including NFC), online payments, prepaid, virtual currencies and micro-payments.
Each of these two roles will also have a focus on a wide range of issues. There will be a focus on contracts including international software licenses and IT implementation agreements, outsourcing matters and regulatory issues for the Commercial group's technology clients alongside collaboration agreements, IP licencing agreements and regulatory advice for clients in the Life Sciences space. Each of these roles will also provide assistance to the range of advertiser clients, advertising agencies and AdTech companies for whom we act within the advertising ecosystem to provide advice on a range of copy clearance issues, talent agreements, sponsorship and endorsement deals and contractual arrangements as well as specialist privacy, regulatory and IP advice on a range of campaign concepts.
To find out more about the practice, please see the link below:
"As lawyers I find them straightforward, pragmatic and enjoyable to work with" - Chambers & Partners
Spanning all three of our UK based offices and working closely together, the Commercial department is made up of almost 50 lawyers in total. The Thames Valley Commercial team is currently made up of 1 Partner, 1 Associate Director, 1 Senior Associate, 2 Associates, 1 Trainee Solicitor and a Paralegal and it is actively expanding. The team is led by Anna Williams, who is recognised in the legal directories and industry for her focus on advertising and sponsorship work as well as her focus on digital business clients. Both roles would involve working on a very regular basis with our Commercial lawyers in all three offices as well as our international offices.
You will have the opportunity to work on projects in various sectors, as well as develop your expertise in technology, life sciences, IP and advertising matters. Examples of recent projects are:
- We continue to advise Vodafone on a range of important matters, including substantial outsourcing projects.
- Advising KPMG on the negotiation of their strategic alliance agreement with McLaren to govern both KPMG's corporate sponsorship of the racing team and both parties' collaboration on data analytics product development.We are acting for a large insurance group in connection with the monetisation and exploitation of various IT assets acquired as a result of rapid growth through M&A activity.
- Advising a well-known brand within the insurance sector on their digital marketing activities after conducting a detailed compliance audit into their use of data and AdTech for campaigns forming part of their varied marketing mix.
- Advising household name retailers on their sales channels structures (franchises and concessions) and manufacturers on their routes to market, including agency and distribution agreements, working alongside colleagues in our European and US offices
Technical skills and experience
You will have a range of commercial law experience gained either at a law firm recognised for its commercial law practice, or in-house. In particular you will have strong drafting skills, ideally have experience of advising on a range of commercial contracts, privacy matters and regulatory matters and pre-existing experience of technology deals or advertising work would be a bonus. Most of all you must be able to provide concise, commercial advice to clients whilst really getting to know their sector as well as their business and be an excellent team player. Due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking for an Associate or Senior Associate, although we will consider candidates with less or more experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Rachael Hardwick in the recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive to be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.