Finance Director – Qualified Accountant – ACCA/ACA/ACMA
Part Time Position: 20-25 hours per week - can grow into a full-time
Contract Duration: 6–9-month contract – can grow into permanent role
Location: Hybrid or Remote
Salary (FTE Equivalent): Up to £70,000-90,000 depending on experience plus bonus and share award (role also may be available on contractor basis, rate would be adjusted accordingly)
Our client Oceanium is looking for a Chief Financial Officer to work alongside the CEO, ensuring accounting compliance and accuracy. This role has overall control and responsibility for all financial aspects of company strategy and is expected to analyse figures and implement recommendations based on these findings, with the most profitable outcomes. The CFO will be capable of building systems to support our first sales. Working with early-stage companies and fundraising experience is a plus – you need to be willing to much in and cover a broad array of data and financial work. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has demonstratable interest in sustainability, to develop and grow within a start-up in an emerging sustainable industry.
We are seeking an individual with an analytical and strategic mindset who wants to make valuable contributions towards helping us achieve our mission to sustainable materials, food and health products for People Health and Planet Health. This is a unique and challenging opportunity to be involved in a fast moving, innovative impact business.
With offices in Oban, Scotland and London, Oceanium is a leader in the emerging seaweed industry. We develop and make food, wellness and innovative materials from sustainably sourced seaweed.
- Take full control of our accounting function, including audit and tax functions.
- Support senior management in fundraising – produce fundraising financials including projections and techno-economic models, and respond to due diligence.
- Develop and implement accounting policies.
- Manage and build the finance team (currently one very experienced controller).
- Implement and monitor rigorous financial controls for the organisation.
- Ensure compliance with statutory accounting and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare annual accounts and work with external auditors to fulfil all necessary auditing requirements.
- Support development of strategic planning and project budgeting.
- Prepare forecasting plans including annual budgets in association with the CEO.
- Support department heads and project managers in the preparation of department and project budgets ensuring compliance of these budgets with company, funder and external requirements.
- Prepare monthly management accounts, cash flow forecasts and ad hoc management information, as requested.
- Prepare financial information packs for grant auditors.
- Assess, manage, and minimise financial risk.
- Ensure relevant and accurate records are kept, filings made, and all tax liabilities paid as required by HMRC (for payroll, corporation tax, VAT), pension agencies, Companies House etc.
- Ensure all invoices and payments are appropriately processed, coded, and authorised.
- Manage cash balances, including bank reconciliations.
- Authorise invoices and manage creditor payments in line with approved authorisation levels.
- Liaise with the company’s auditors, bankers, consultants, board members and funding bodies.
Skills and Competencies
- University Degree.
- Certification in accounting to be ACA, ACCA or CIMA.
- Previous demonstratable experience in financial management.
- Comfortable analysing complex financial data, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Experience with different accounting systems and integration with management information systems, combined with strong digital skills, experience with MS Office.
- Effective leadership and people management experience.
- Can-do attitude and ability to “muck in” on data and spreadsheets.
- Experience in a start-up environment a plus.
- Experience in manufacturing and/or FMCG is beneficial, but not essential.
- Experience with Innovate UK or EU grants also beneficial, but not essential.
- You will be a leader, a self-starter, an experienced manager, and a hard-working individual who is excited by the prospect of working in a fast-paced start-up environment in an emerging, environmentally positive industry.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate financial issues, solutions, and strategy to broad and varied audiences.
- Integrity and honesty, and superior attention to detail.
- Thorough understanding of business principles and practices.
- Ability to manage a complex, varied, and demanding workload prioritising and delegating effectively in a fast-paced environment.
If you feel that you have the right blend of capabilities and experience as well as the ability to make a significant contribution to company, we would like to hear from you. Please send a cover letter, current CV, salary requirements and availability to [email protected]
We recognise the value of a diverse team, and we are committed to and encourage applications from people with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.
Reasonable adjustments are available to support candidates through the application and interview process. Please note all offers of employment are subject to continuous eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory pre-employment security screening which includes a DBS Check.
Key Words: Finance Director, Chief Financial Officer , CFO , FD , Qualified Accountant , Corporate Finance Manager , Head of Finance
We are currently advertising this role on behalf of our client within the sustainability sector. Our client has an excellent Company culture, some of the key values are fairness and integrity, and the Company values are at the heart of all decision making.
Our client are looking for someone with a genuine interest in sustainability to work and grow with them in their start up business. The role is initially for a fixed term period, however there is the potential that this will develop into a permanent position as the Company grows.
The role is based on 20-25 hour per week, with flexibility around working days and times.